River Park Events Coordinator (P/T)
General Mission of Work
The role of River Park’s Events Coordinator is to plan, organize, administer and evaluate the following three (3) special events below as designated annually by the River Park Board of Directors. Position requires excellent communication and organization skills to successfully complete the duties of this position.
- 9th Annual River Park Duck Race – (3rd Saturday in July)
- Fall Fish Fry – (October)
- May Event – (Board to determine event type)
Work is performed under then general supervision of the River Park President and Executive Committee. Supervision is exercised over assigned event volunteers.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required and are not necessarily actual duties of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Duties may include but are not limited to handling all aspects of event planning of each special event as designated by the River Park Board of Directors:
- Must secure local or corporate business sponsors for each event.
- Identify and secure locations where event tickets can be sold (if applicable).
- Maintain accurate financial and budget records; track volunteer ticket sales and reports.
- Prepare and facilitate approved event advertising and marketing plans which may include; posting banners, yard signs, distribution of flyers and posters; social media and webpage posts; submitting official press releases in local newspapers, radio and television media outlets.
- Ensure event policies, rules and regulations are appropriate and adhered to by staff, volunteers and event participants.
- Secure appropriate event staff, volunteers, judges to assist with event logistics including, pre event set up, day of direction and post event clean up.
- Coordinate with the O’Neal family to facilitate the actual duck race
- Develop, organize and maintain detailed planning logs of all event activities. All planning records shall be submitted to the River Park Board President following each event.
- Identify and secure vendors including but not limited to: food, beverage, music, entertainment and local business.
- Direct all event day activities. This includes, selling more tickets, coordinating individual activities, etc.
- Conduct and prepare detailed inventory logs of event equipment utilized.
- Collaborate between the Town of Cooleemee, civic and community organizations; sponsors, participants, visitors and citizens to ensure safety and effectiveness of all events.
- Represent the River Park at Cooleemee Falls, Inc.in a professional manner at all times; while effectively increasing the visibility of River Park as a recreation and tourist destination.
- Exercise effective communication and organization skills to successfully complete the duties of this position.
This position is requiring the exertion of up to 30 pounds of force occasionally, up to 15 pounds of force frequently, and a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects; work requires stooping, reaching, fingering, grasping, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels and during meetings; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operation of equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is subject to outside environmental conditions and must be able to walk within the moderate trail terrain of The RiverPark.at Cooleemee Falls.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school or GED. Must be computer proficient with working knowledge of MS Office products including Word, Excel, Outlook Email. Experience in desktop publishing is preferred.
Must work well, communicate and engage with the public, lead and coordinate volunteers and have a sense for promotional opportunities and organizational development.
Must be a self-starter and able to manage and utilize time effectively; develop priorities and create work plans; willing to work closely with the RiverPark Executive Committee members to coordinate activities.
Possess a valid driver’s license in the State of North Carolina
Successful candidate must submit to a background check, including a driving history.
Salary & Hours
This is part-time, contractual obligation. The selected candidate shall be paid the sum of $500.00 per event following the successful completion of each event. An additional 5% bonus shall be paid for all accounted gross revenues received per event. Under the supervision of the River Park’s Executive Board, the River Park Events Coordinator will create and facilitate their own time schedule, documenting their hours and tasks performed in a log.
The employee is responsible for all payroll and withholding taxes (a 1099 will be filed by River Park to the IRS). No other benefits are offered.
River Park will be taking application until March 31, 2018. Qualified applicants will each be interviewed during the following two weeks. River Park’s hiring decision will be made by the Executive Board and all applicants will be notified of the Board’s decision.
Application may be acquired at Cooleemee Town hall. Click here to print application and submit completed application to the Cooleemee Town Hall.